Title: Kill the Spider
Author: Carlos Whittaker. Connections: North Point Ministries, Catalyst, CarlosWhittaker.com
Summation: Carlos tells his story of overcoming addiction to success, significance and porn during an experiential therapy retreat.
Big Idea: We all have spiders (issues or addictions) that want to spin cobwebs to control our lives. Don’t spend your life cleaning out cobwebs; kill the spider.
· P. 13 – No one does anything about spiders until they come out of hiding.
· P. 20 – “I just know that I’ve gone my entire life receiving blessing after blessing and then rubbing crap on it.”
· P. 22 – Don’t be a professional at cleaning the cobwebs from your life. Find the producer of cobwebs and kill the spider.
· P. 41 – From his wife Heather: “You are not there to fix them. You are there to fix you.”
· P. 49 – Spiders don’t start big. The longer we ignore them, the longer we allow them to feed on our mistakes and fears and spin their cobwebs of sin, the harder it is to kill them.
· P. 51 – “A spider is an agreement with a lie you believe. A cobweb is any medicator that brings false comfort to that lie.”
· P. 60 – “We are going to have to dig back to the point of trauma or to the point of pain and stare it in the eyes.”
· P. 81 – “Maybe I always just assumed Jesus was real. I never really found out for myself.”
· P. 93 – “The spider, the lie was identified as: ‘I must do to be loved.’”
· P. 123 – “If I believe in the God of the impossible, then why do I not believe in the God of the possible?”